1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30
Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/15/23 10:20 a.m.

With a two letter change, you can cover an extremely wide spectrum of cars and car owners when you go from "Altima" to "Alpina"

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/15/23 10:40 a.m.

The first-generation Honda Odyssey was a tidy little thing. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/15/23 12:29 p.m.
DarkMonohue said:

The first-generation Honda Odyssey was a tidy little thing. 

So was the Isuzu Oasis.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/15/23 12:32 p.m.

I know theres a good reason for 3/4/5/6 lug wheels, and different diameter studs, but cant for the of me figuelre out why theres different circles beyond the nebulous idea of "evenly distributed clamp load"

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/23 1:12 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I know theres a good reason for 3/4/5/6 lug wheels, and different diameter studs, but cant for the of me figuelre out why theres different circles beyond the nebulous idea of "evenly distributed clamp load"

100mm would be too small for a truck and 7" would be too large for a compact car, for extreme examples.

Remember captivated rotors?  Those were needed to fit a 4.5" (or 5.5" in the case of Subaru) under 13" wheels and still have room for brake rotors.  Heck, trucks with 6x5.5" needed captivated rotors to work with 15" wheels.

Mazdas with 4x110 had lug bolts for this reason too - no way to press studs in when the inner diameter of the rotor is smaller than the outer diameter of the hub.

It made more sense to have a 4"/98mm/100mm bolt pattern for small wheeled cars when disk brakes got to happening.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
8/15/23 1:45 p.m.
11GTCS said:

I wonder what Recon1342 is up to?

'Bout 6'6"... 

Do ya reckon people are getting stupider, or is social media just making it more visible?

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE UltraDork
8/15/23 2:17 p.m.

Social media more visible is my bet.

Saw Barbie yesterday; the first 20 minutes is an excellent display of cosmic/otherworldly style horror.

Pete. (l33t FS)
8/20/23 8:31 a.m.

Cyrillic is more or less just blocky Greek.

Just realized this today while looking at the "bad at summer" tumblr post.  

Obvious in hindsight, and it is probably the first line in any introduction to Cyrillic, but I can be as dense as a neutron star.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/20/23 9:12 a.m.

For some reason, I've seen a lot of clips from my 600lb life and people talking about cheat days lately. They have a food addiction, same as any other addiction. You never hear about rehab going " you know what, you  did so good at rehab, you deserve a little crack as a cheat day treat". 

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
8/20/23 9:40 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Hence the phrase" its all Greek to me"

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/24/23 10:02 p.m.

Lasagne is pretty much just pizza casserole. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/23 11:41 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

I think social media amplifies it. We all knew a few kooks, some that would shout at traffic and others that kept quiet because they'd get mocked as lunatics. The internet let these people find each other without having to seek out a Lyndon Larouche Campaigner so they felt comfortable that they're conspiracies were true and they were the only enlightened ones.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/25/23 7:11 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Cyrillic is more or less just blocky Greek.

Just realized this today while looking at the "bad at summer" tumblr post.  

Obvious in hindsight, and it is probably the first line in any introduction to Cyrillic, but I can be as dense as a neutron star.

That's because Cyrillic was created by Cyril, a scholar from Thessalonica. Well, he created Glagolitic, which then was updated to Cyrillic by his students. So Cyrillic looks Greek because, well, it is Greek

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
8/25/23 9:12 a.m.
DarkMonohue said:

I prefer to look at it as spaghetti cake.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/25/23 9:22 a.m.

Why do  flammable and inflammable mean the same thing?

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/25/23 9:32 a.m.
SV reX said:

Why do  flammable and inflammable mean the same thing?

They don't. Flammable means it can be set fire to, such as a piece of wood. However, inflammable means that a substance is capable of bursting into flames without the need for any ignition

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/27/23 9:22 a.m.

The spider web is amazing, but I don't think they could have taken a more unappealing picture of the car. Are those school cafeteria chairs?

Pete. (l33t FS)
8/27/23 9:28 a.m.
DarkMonohue said:

Pizza is a lasagna sandwich?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/23 10:49 a.m.
jgrewe said:
DarkMonohue said:

I prefer to look at it as spaghetti cake.

Spaghetti is just shredded pizza

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/27/23 4:06 p.m.

If pizza is the first thing spaghetti reminds of, you're eating it wrong. And you need better pizza. laugh

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
9/9/23 10:13 a.m.

Sitting at an intersection this morning, and caught a whiff of gasoline fumes.  Made me think back to my childhood, and how that was a constant smell anytime you were near a busy road.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
9/9/23 11:30 a.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

I had that exact experience last week and quickly realized the car in front of me had no cats. I pointed it out to PW who said, you're right, I haven't smelled that in years, I had no idea what that was 

I'm thinking about trying these things to fix my leaning fence. One side of the fence leans in and the other side of the yard leans out. The side that's leaning in has the fence boards on the inside of the fence while the side that's leaning out has the boards on the outside. None of the 4x4 posts have a footing; they are just buried directly in the sandy soil. I didn't install the fence, the PO of the house did. 

Will these stakes buy me some time? 

In reply to stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) :

Welp, too late. We had a thunderstorm blow through while we were at the store today and it knocked down 3 sections of the fence. The posts rotted off at ground level. 

I berkeleying hate this house

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
9/9/23 8:07 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) :

I had that happen at my last house. PO had installed fence into concrete with untreated 4x4 posts. The lime in the concrete took out all the posts in something under 7 years.

1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R77vkZroSQCgZq2oHJ0e85O0fSTZ2j3AWvOpWb5afnlZgNaWIuBvADWcIuKEveBK