1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/25/23 11:07 a.m.

Some of you may recall my request for opinions on a 2008 VW Rabbit with the 2.5-liter and a 5-speed manual transmission.  Well, that car now belongs to the GF of Son #1, and so falls within my area of responsibility for repair/maintenance (along with about 17 other vehicles).

The other day, it is reported that the car was proceeding down the interstate when the engine suddenly quit running and the tach needle went to zero.  Driver reportedly shifted to neutral for an uncertain period of time, after which she re-engaged a gear.  Car resumed running, but would not go in excess of 70 mph.  EPC light was on.

After a few start/stop cycles, the EPC light went out.  Car falls into my possession.  My attempt to pull codes yields zero codes.  The light has not come back on, and there are no symptoms, other than perhaps a slightly rough idle.  Car drives fine.

So, what would cause a complete loss of power (presumed lack of ignition spark), then go away spontaneously a few seconds later?

Just what I need, a diagnostic mystery on an old VW.  Makes me pine for the days of the ACVW.  They were simple beasts.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/25/23 11:09 a.m.

Sorry.  Title should read EPC light.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
9/25/23 11:24 a.m.

I only had it happen once with my MK6 GTI and it was one of the coils crapping out. The car ran unbelievably bad. New coils and plugs later, no issues in the following 5 years (knock on wood).

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/25/23 11:28 a.m.

I have no idea what would cause that, but would first make sure both battery terminals are tight and secure.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/25/23 1:08 p.m.
Brotus7 said:

I only had it happen once with my MK6 GTI and it was one of the coils crapping out. The car ran unbelievably bad. New coils and plugs later, no issues in the following 5 years (knock on wood).

Did it cut power completely?  I would hope that it would just run like garbage and set a CEL, so I could have something to help pinpoint the cause.  I'm leaning toward crank position sensor, since that gave a similar symptom with the E39 BMW.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/25/23 1:12 p.m.

Dunno, but it sounds like an epic adventure.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/25/23 1:59 p.m.

Happens on our 15 Jetta a few times a year, comes on and clears itself. Troubleshooting would start at looking at VCDS measuring blocks for pedal position and throttle position and seeing if anything comes up in a normal drive. If it has no codes, I would treat it as it never happened.. until it does again.

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/25/23 4:33 p.m.

Happened once in my Mk6R. ETC light came on and I was WTF is that, just ran at idle. I coasted to a stop and did what any mechanic worth his salt would do and I turned the engine off and counted 30 seconds then started it back up and went on my merry way.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
9/25/23 4:47 p.m.

What is this EPC?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/25/23 6:05 p.m.
spitfirebill said:

What is this EPC?

It would appear that it is VW's way of telling you that you purchased the wrong dang car! laugh

https://mechanicbase.com/engine/epc-light/

But seriously, I drove the car a couple times today.  No glitches of any kind.  The 5-speed is silky smooth.  I can see why people want to overlook their faults.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/26/23 5:16 p.m.

Threw new plugs at it today.  No reason to think they'd ever been changed.  Coil packs are original also.  Cleaned the throttle body a bit.  Runs pretty much like it did before, that is, about perfectly.  I haven't been able to replicate the error.  FCP shipped the crank sensor today.

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/26/23 7:00 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:
spitfirebill said:

What is this EPC?

It would appear that it is VW's way of telling you that you purchased the wrong dang car! laugh

https://mechanicbase.com/engine/epc-light/

But seriously, I drove the car a couple times today.  No glitches of any kind.  The 5-speed is silky smooth.  I can see why people want to overlook their faults.

Oh...mine was Electronic Throttle Control. My bad.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
2/29/24 7:42 p.m.
heres said:

Did you find out the reason?

I replaced the crank position sensor.  Dunno if that fixed it, but it has not happened again, to date.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CfftWzkKGrNZ9gtNWtqvenwT6tihVy8rfL1Xxm2RAEmmARRkZVjKtX5x4ktyTgcr